Summary of Position: Customer service and clerical work in a library involving programs and services to patrons.
Work involves responsibility for routine circulation, shelf maintenance and clerical functions using an automated circulation system. Duties include checking books in and out, shelving library materials, data inputting, assisting with library programs, answering patron questions in person or by phone and assisting with patron computer problems. This position is also invested with making beginning level library clerical decisions.
Works under the immediate supervision of the Library Director.
- Checks books, magazines and other library holdings in and out at the circulation desk and collects fines using an automated circulation system.
- Shelves books, magazines and other library holdings on shelves according to numbering sequences.
- Discharges incoming library materials using an automated circulation system and inspects them for damages.
- Performs routine library computer functions.
- Assists patrons with genealogy inquiries
- Assists children with finding books and other information
- Assists patrons with computer problems
- Assists librarians with programs and displays
- Operates a variety of standard office and library machines including microfilm readers/printers.
- Answers telephones and provides routine information or refers and transfers calls.
- Assists in assuring accurate library shelving by shelf-reading and reshelving of materials.
- Performs related work as required
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent computer skills
- Some knowledge of library clerical procedures and practices.
- Good knowledge of clerical practices.
- Good knowledge of the English language and grammar.
- Some skill in typing and the ability to do data entry using a computer terminal.
- Good ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions.
- Good ability to pay attention to detail.
- Good ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with superiors, associates and the general public.
A high school diploma or the equivalent and some experience in using libraries; or previous employment in a library; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Excellent customer service, computer and communication skills required. Prior library experience preferred.
Primarily indoors. Occasional lifting and ability to push a loaded book cart, to lift or maneuver onto cart loads of 50 pounds and to carry cartons of books. Ability to bend, stoop and lift for prolonged periods in cramped spaces. Ability to sit and use a computer workstation, including keyboard and visual display terminal, for extended periods of time.
The Metropolis Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.